|Out on:||Blu-Ray 10th Feb. 2020|
Directed by Marcel Carné, the master of poetic realism, Hôtel du Nord is a haunting, fatalistic melodrama which sits alongside Le Quai des brumes and Le Jour se lève as one of the auteur’s greatest pre-war works.
Adapted from the acclaimed novel by Eugène Dabit, the son to the proprietors of the real Hôtel du Nord (situated on the banks of the Canal St. Martin in Paris), Carné’s film tells of Renée (Annabella) and Pierre (Jean-Pierre Aumont, Day for Night), doomed lovers who plan to end their lives at the humble guesthouse. When Pierre shoots Renée but can’t pull the trigger on himself, he flees with the help of a seedy criminal, Edmond (Louis Jouvet, Quai des Orfèvres) and his mistress Raymonde (Arletty, Les Enfants du paradis). Renée makes a surprise recovery and returns to the hotel to work as a maid, but when Edmond falls in love with her and Pierre returns from prison, the stage is set for tragedy.
Hôtel du Nord is noteworthy for its assured ensemble performances, remarkably authentic studio sets and compelling Bastille Day street-celebration finale. Now one of Carné’s most underrated films makes a welcome High Definition debut, looking and sounding better than ever before.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentation
• Original 1.0 mono audio
• Optional English subtitles
• Au cinéma ce soir: Marcel Carné on Hôtel du Nord, an in-depth archival interview with the legendary director from 1972 in which he talks at length about the film
• Introduction to Hôtel du Nord by Paul Ryan, the film historian revisits Carné’s classic film
• Image gallery
• Original trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Peter Strain
Director: Marcel Carné
Cast: Annabella, Jean-Pierre Aumont, Louis Jouvet, Arletty
Duration: 95 mins
Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1
Audio: Mono 1.0
Black & White
BD Cat No: FCD1977
BD Barcode: 5027035021461