|Out on:||Blu-Ray 8th April 2019|
Master director Alain Resnais (Last Year At Marienbad) blurs the line between cinematic technique and theatrical artifice in his award-winning Mélo, adapted from Henri Bernstein’s classic play about a doomed love triangle in 1920s Paris.
Pierre (Pierre Arditi, Love Unto Death) and Marcel (André Dussollier, A Good Marriage) are both celebrated concert violinists and lifelong friends, in spite of their differing temperaments. Pierre is modest, sensitive and content with his lot; Marcel is hungry, driven, and pursues a solo career that takes him to the four corners of the world. After years apart, the two friends reunite when Pierre invites Marcel to his home for dinner. It is then that Marcel first meets Pierre’s wife Romaine (Sabine Azéma, Cosmos), sparking a passionate affair that can only end in tragedy before the curtain falls.
As thrillingly intimate on film as it was on the stage, Mélo’s César award-winning cast and inventive direction are highlighted in a stunning new restoration, revealing a hidden gem in Resnais’ celebrated body of work waiting to be rediscovered.
SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY CONTENTS
• Brand new 2K restoration of the film
• High Definition Blu-Ray (1080p) presentation
• Original 2.0 Stereo soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles
• Newly-filmed introduction by critic Jonathan Romney
• Archive interview with director Alain Resnais
• Archive interview with producer Marin Karmitz
• Archive interviews with actors Pierre Arditi and André Dussolier
• Archive interview with script supervisor Sylvette Baudrot
• Archive interview with set designer Jacques Saulnier
• Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original artwork
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Bilge Ebiri
Director: Alain Resnais
Cast: Sabine Azéma, Fanny Ardant, Pierre Ardit
Duration: 110 mins
Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1
Cat No: FCD1870