|Out on:||Blu-Ray 8th June 2020|
Prepare to be overwhelmed by a mind-bending horror with heart-wrenching emotional clout, from the film-makers behind cult genre hits The Battery and Tex Montana Will Survive!
Jeremy Gardner (Bliss, The Battery)
Brea Grant (A Ghost Story)
Justin Benson (The Endless, Synchronic)
Henry Zebrowski (The Wolf of Wall Street)
Jeremy Gardner and Christian Stella (Tex Montana Will Survive!, The Battery)
Ten years into his small-town romance with Abby, bartender Hank wakes up alone in an empty home with nothing but a cryptic parting note for company. As Hank drinks himself into heartbreak and depression, Abby’s sudden departure soon becomes the least of his concerns as a mysterious monster starts clawing at his door on a nightly basis.
As the threat outside his door intensifies, Hank calls on Abby’s police officer brother Shane and best friend Wade for help. With no trace of the monster - and his behaviour becoming more erratic - his friends remain unconvinced of the creature lurking outside, and Hank slips further into his own paranoia and loneliness.
We like it because:
“I know this is gonna sound crazy, but some kind of thing’s been coming out of the woods at night, scratching at the door, trying to get in the house.”
Imagine an H.P Lovecraft story directed by Richard Linklater, or a mumblecore version of Cellar Dweller, and you’re somewhere close to After Midnight - a creepy, captivating and truly unnerving experience that’ll have you praying for daylight.
Expertly directed by Jeremy Gardner (who also takes the lead role) and Christian Stella (creators of cult favourites The Battery and Tex Montana Will Survive!), and co-produced by the team behind Spring and The Endless, After Midnight is a slow-burning, genre-bending gem about breaking up, moving on and facing your monsters-both real and imaginary.
Emotionally involving and unexpectedly moving, thanks to wonderfully understated performances from Gardener and Brea Grant, and beautifully filmed, with a haunting and affecting musical score, After Midnight really is something else - a film with heart and soul, a good few laughs, not to mention knockout scares.
Eerie, ominous and intimate, fans of rustic thrillers like It Comes at Night, Blue Ruin and A Quiet Place will want to stay up late for this one.
TWO-DISC SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
- Limited to 2,500 units
- High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentations of After Midnight and Jeremy Gardner’s first feature, The Battery – available on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Reversible sleeve with a choice of artwork designs
- Reversible fold-out poster
- Limited edition collector’s booklet containing new writing on After - Midnight by William Dass and an archive piece on The Battery by Jeremy Gardner
DISC ONE: AFTER MIDNIGHT
- Original 5.1 and 2.0 Stereo audio soundtracks
- Audio commentary with directors Christian Stella and Jeremy Gardner
- Lakeland Florida Q&A, featuring Stella, Gardner, actors Ashley Song, Nicola Masciotra and Taylor Zaudtke, script supervisor Elise Stella and 2nd assistant director Juan Ortiz
- Pitching ‘Something Else’, Stella and Gardner pitch the character of Wade to Henry Zebrowski. Featuring an intro by producer Aaron Moorhead
- Self-interview while self-quarantined during the coronavirus outbreak. Brand new interview with actor and producer Justin Benson, recorded exclusively for this release
- Brea and Barak find Fantastic Fest Scooters. Actors Brea Grant and Barak Hardley hunt down scooters following the Fantastic Fest screening of After Midnight
- Behind-the-scenes Featurette
- Behind-the-scenes image gallery
- Official international and UK trailers
DISC TWO: THE BATTERY
- Original stereo audio
- Audio commentary featuring writer, director and actor Jeremy Gardner, producer and actor Adam Cronheim, and director of photography Christian Stella
- The Making of The Battery, feature-length 90-minute documentary on the making of the film
- Featurette on the music of The Battery
- Theatrical trailer
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Audio: Stereo 5.1/ 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH