|Out on:||Blu-Ray 22nd July 2019|
If you can’t get a date… make one! After proving himself the king of heartfelt teen flicks with Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club, writer-director John Hughes infused the genre with a hefty dose of whacked-out sci-fi comedy in Weird Science, a film where every teenage boy’s wildest fantasies come to life.
Anthony Michael Hall
Robert Downey Jr
Perennially picked-on high school nerds Gary (Anthony Michael Hall, Sixteen Candles) and Wyatt (Ilan Mitchell-Smith) are sick of their status at the bottom of the social food chain. Using Wyatt’s computer, the two hatch a plan to create their dream woman – and following a massive power surge, that woman unexpectedly appears in the form of Lisa (Kelly LeBrock). Gorgeous, intelligent, and blessed with limitless magic powers, Lisa makes the boys’ dreams come true… but what about Wyatt’s gun-toting psycho older brother Chet (Bill Paxton), and the two bullies (Robert Downey Jr and Vamp’s Robert Rusler) determined to put them back in their place?
We like it because:
Inspired by EC Comics and boosted by a killer soundtrack (including the classic title theme by Oingo Boingo), Weird Science has never looked better than in this new special edition, including an exclusive extended version of the film featuring deleted scenes never released on home video before.
The Blu-ray will also be released through ZAVVI as an exclusive collectable steelbook.
• New restoration by Arrow Films from a 4K scan of the original negative
• High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ presentation of the original Theatrical Version of the film (94 mins), plus seamlessly-branched exclusive Extended Version (97 mins), featuring two additional scenes newly remastered in high-definition
• Original lossless stereo audio, plus 5.1 DTS-HD MA surround option (theatrical version only)
• Original English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Edited-for-TV version of the film (SD only, 94 mins), plus comparison featurette highlighting the alternate dubs and edits
• Option to watch additional scenes from the Extended Version separately
• Casting ‘Weird Science’, an all-new interview with casting director Jackie Burch
• Dino The Greek, a newly-filmed interview with supporting actor John Kapelos
• Chet Happens, a newly filmed interview with special makeup creator Craig Reardon
• Fantasy and Microchips, a newly filmed interview with editor Chris Lebenzon
• Ira Newborn Makes The Score, a newly filmed interview with the composer
• It’s Alive! Resurrecting Weird Science, an archive documentary featuring interviews with cast, crew and admirers, including star Anthony Michael Hall
• Theatrical trailers, TV spots and radio spots
• Image galleries
• BD-ROM: PDF of the original shooting script
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tracie Ching
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Amanda Reyes
Subtitles: English SDH
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: 2.0 Stereo