After redefining the prison drama with the multi-award winning A Prophet and earning a Palme D’Or for Dheepan, French visionary director Jacques Audiard turned his eye to the American Western, adapting Patrick DeWitt’s acclaimed novel The Sisters Brothers.
Joaquin Phoenix (We Own the Night) and John C. Reilly (Boogie Nights) star as Charlie and Eli Sisters, a pair of Old West bounty hunters preceded by their reputation for ruthlessness. They’re tasked by their boss, a trade magnate and crime lord known only as The Commodore, with a seemingly simple mission: track down and kill a man by the name of Hermann Kermit Warm (Riz Ahmed, The Sound of Metal), with the help of John Morris (Jake Gyllenhaal, Donnie Darko), a private detective who’s approached Warm under false pretences. As the Sisters Brothers embark on the arduous journey from Oregon to California, their allegiance is questioned and their humanity challenged when they discover their actual target: a secret formula of Warm’s invention, that when poured into a river, can help detect gold.
Superbly shot by regular Audiard collaborator Benoît Debie and featuring mesmerising performances from its lead cast, The Sisters Brothers reinterprets the classic Western formula to craft a compelling and darkly comedic tale of betrayal, redemption and brotherhood.
4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
• 4K (2160p) Ultra HD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
• Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio sound
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Brand new audio commentary by authors and critics C. Courtney Joyner and Henry Parke
• Barry Forshaw on The Sisters Brothers, a brand new video essay by film critic Barry Forshaw on The Sisters Brothers and the psychological Western genre
• His Own Private Wild West, archival hour-long making-of documentary featuring interviews with many cast and crew members including director Jacques Audiard, actor John C. Reilly, cinematographer Benoît Debie, Production designer Michel Barthélémy, sound designer Brigitte Taillandier and Patrick DeWitt, author of the novel The Sisters Brothers
• Animated reviews
• Short promotional featurettes
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tommy Pocket
• Double-sided fold-out “Wanted” poster
• Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by film critic Howard Hughes, academic and Audiard expert Gemma King and original production notes
Cat number: FCD2357
Release date: 27/02/2023
Genre: Western / Drama
Region coding: B
Runtime: 122 Mins
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1
Audio: Stereo 2.0 / 5.1
Director: Jacques Audiard
Subtitles: English SDH